I’m going to be honest here, I never (ever, ever) thought Matt and I would ever go away without the boys.
I’m a nervous nelly mom, so quite honestly, I never thought I could handle leaving them alone without one of us. I know that I travel for work a ton, but when I’m gone, they’re with Matt. I can handle that. I feel good about that. I just never thought I had the capacity within myself to leave them alone without (gasp) either one of us.
But… I did it (well, we did it) this past weekend and it was incredible.
Absolutely, positively incredible.
I never truly knew the importance of sneaking away from the kids for a weekend. I always thought I would feel so guilty, that I wouldn’t be able to fully enjoy myself. Fortunately, that wasn’t the case. What I learned more than ever was that Matt and I need to do this much more often… much more!
I was the ONE person against these getaways, and now I’m a proponent… 5 Reasons why it’s important to sneak away from the kids for a weekend:
1. It’s important to be US again! Matt and I haven’t been US since 2004! We weren’t worried about anyone else except us in Kansas City. We were 25 all over again and it was nice. It was really nice. We weren’t worried about running back to the hotel on time or eating at particular times, we sort of just flew by the seat of our pants.
2. Refuel the passion. Oh, yes… it’s true. Being away without the kids is like being on a date, except it’s an extended one! It was nice to just hold hands and kiss on the street and not be worrying about a child running away from the pack.
3. Matt got to see what I do. I travel for work sometimes once or twice a week. It’s tough leaving the boys and Matt. I was excited to have him come with me and get to see first-hand what I do. It was nice to show him this side of me, the blogger. I know he thinks he knows, but it’s a whole different world on the work side.
4. Slept late. LOL… Matt napped this past weekend. He hasn’t napped in SUCH A LONG TIME! It was nice to see him relax. Relax from head-to-toe. It was important for him to be able to do that, and I was happy to see him be able to do that!
5. Remember me?? I say this jokingly, but I said to Matt when we were flying home to the boys, “It was so much fun being away… I feel like we were the same Audrey and Matt when we first started dating!” Not that I’m different now, but I’m a mom and a worker and life can get pretty busy and out of control sometimes with all of the events and activities. It was cool just going back to basics, just me and my Matty. It was beautiful. And yes, romantic.